Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Louis Icart - A Romantic Artist for the French Inspired

Looking for some French inspiration for those lonely white walls?

French Inspired home decor has been in the air lately, so I though I would share with you a few works of art by Louis Icart from my personal collection.




Having lived in Philadelphia in the 1980's, I stumbled into the I. Brewster & Company Gallery one rainy afternoon. The gallery is known worldwide as one of the primary sources for Louis Icart works. Hence my love affair began with one of the most romantic artists I had ever seen.



Louis Icart was born in Toulouse, France where he began drawing at a very early age. He was particularly interested in fashion and worked for many design studios at a time when fashion was undergoing a radical change from the fussiness of the late 19th century to simple lines of the early 20th century. In 1914 he met Fanny Volmers, an 18 year old blond who at the time was an employee of the fashion house Paquin. She would eventually become his wife, model and a source of artistic inspiration for the rest of his life.



Icart's portrayal of women is usually sensuous, often erotic, yet always with an element of humor, which is as important as the implied or direct sexuality. Their facial expressions project passion, dismay or surprise, for the women of Louis Icart are the women of France as we have imagined them to be. Eve, Leda, Venus, and Joan of Arc, all wrapped up into an irresistible package.



This spring the Pink Pig will feature a selection of Louis Icart prints in hope that they will bring some inspiration to your walls.




8 comments:

  1. I love the ballet-inspired ones! I love this artist as well as Renoir :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this artist, but now that I have....I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second picture is definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello found your blog in my travels today! Very nice, I must say. Loving today's posting...it makes me more excited about our French trip this summer. We love visiting the Louvre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful, romantic art. All are so lovely.
    The second print though has to be my favorite. Great blog Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely pieces, I really like the third one.

    Thank you SO much for the wonderful comment.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Mr. Icart! So lovely and fashionable!

    ReplyDelete